Cool Dog Tricks
Teach Your Dog to High-Five
Dog tricks are an amazing way to connect with your dog. By teaching your dog a variety of cool dog tricks and behaviors, you will help your dog be engaged and eager to learn new things. Having a dog willing and eager to learn is one of the best things you can do for your dog. Today is National High-Five Day, so let’s teach this easy dog trick.
Watch this video on Shake, it’s helpful when teaching high-five. Don’t forget to subscribe while you’re there.
- Ask your dog to sit.
- Place a healthy dog treat in your hand and close your hand around the treat, making a fist.
- Place your hand about 10” away from your dog’s front leg, at his natural height for a high-five.
- Keep your hand still—don’t say anything, just smile at your dog. Wait for your dog to paw at your hand. As soon as he does, say “YES” and give him the treat in your hand.
- Repeat this process about 5 times or until your dog is readily hitting your hand with gusto. This may take more than one dog trick training session—it depends on your dog.
- Once your dog is readily pawing your treat filled hand, do the same set-up, but this time without food in your hand. Once your dog paws your empty hand, say, “YES” and treat with a treat from your pocket.
- Next, instead of a closed fist, place your hand in a high-five position. When your dog hits your hand, say “YES” and treat. Now you are really getting close to teaching your dog this cool dog trick.
- Now it’s time to introduce your dog to the dog training cue, ‘high-five,’ ‘hit it,’ ‘smack it,’ etc. Before you present your high-five hand, say your cue “high-five” then present your high-five hand, he hits it, “YES” and treat.
See, you can teach an old dog new tricks. 🙂
What is your dog or cat’s favorite trick? Tell me in the comments.
Are you looking for even more ways to stay up to date with Raising Your Pets Naturally? Sign up for the newsletter for more tips and promotions. Don’t forget to be social and Like, Follow and Subscribe. Comments below are always welcome.
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram YouTube
6 thoughts on “Dog Tricks to Teach Your Dog | Teach Your Dog to High-Five”
I always find it so cute when pets can do tricks and it is a great way of bonding with them as well! I would love a pup to give me a high five how adorable would that be? x
Tricks are such a great way to interact with dogs. And this little dog in the photo is just too stinking cute. 🙂
Now this I’ve got to try! We have two golden retrievers .. Harry and Sally. Harry is goofy and could care less about tricks. Sally on the other hand is all over it. Tomorrow I’ll gather my treats and we’ll be learning the high-five!
Awesome. Harry and Sally, too cute. My previous boy, Theo, was a golden. Love them to pieces.
I have trained my dog to give me a high-five and my friends and relatives find it quite impressive.
That’s awesome. It’s such a cute and fun trick.
Comments are closed.