Positive Reinforcement Dog Training and Dog Tricks
Teach a Dog to Cover Up in Blanket
Dog training tricks are more than just some frivolous behaviors that have no meaning or use. No, teaching your dog a variety of cool dog tricks is a great way not only to build your relationship with your dog, but to teach him to listen, trust you, and take your cues. As a huge bonus, dog trick training also teaches your dog how amazing you are, so he will want to listen to you. 😉
Watch the dog trick video and don’t forget to subscribe!
After you’ve taught your dog how to roll over, you can take it one step further and teach your dog to roll himself up in a blanket!
- Lay out a throw blanket on the floor, nice and flat. Make sure that there is plenty of room for the blanket and your dog and any goofy dog antics.
- Ask your dog to down on one side of the blanket.
- Grab the corner of the throw blanket next to your dog and get him excited about grabbing it.
- Once your dog grabs the end of the blanket ask him to roll over. Reward him for rolling over, even if he didn’t keep hold of the blanket.
- Continue the steps, and eventually, your dog should keep hold of the blanket as he rolls himself up. Big jackpot of dog treats anytime your dog rolls over in the blanket.
- Once your dog is reliable at rolling over in the blanket, change your cue from “roll over” to “cover up” or similar.
If your dog is not a big “holder” this may not be the best trick for him. And that’s okay. We all have our favorites and specialties. Remember, it’s about having fun, learning, and bonding.
What is your dog’s favorite dog trick? Any fun cat tricks to share? Tell me in the comments.
Are you looking for even more ways to stay up to date with Raising Your Pets Naturally? Sign up for the newsletter for more tips and promotions. Don’t forget to be social and Like, Follow and Subscribe. Comments below are always welcome.